[Gluster-users] Poor performance of NFS client for large writes compared to native client

Ben Turner bturner at redhat.com
Thu Apr 30 12:27:09 UTC 2015

----- Original Message -----

To tag on here GlusterFS mounts use the hash algorithm to know which server to write directly to.  NFS is not aware of this so all files get routed through the server that is mounted just like Vijay said.  The server relaying the file adds this extra hop and contributes to the latency / slowdown.  I estimate performance like:

10G interface with 12 disk RAID 6:

GFS Read(replica 1 or 2) = 720 MB/s
GFS Write(replica 1) = 820 MB/s
GFS Write(replica 2) = 410 MB/s

NFS Read(replica 1 or 2) = 535 MB/s
NFS Write(replica 1) = 400 MB/s
NFS Write(replica 2) = 250 MB/s

So with replica 2 Gluster FS I would expect ~410 MB / sec writes and on the same volume over NFS I would expect 250 MB / sec.  Its not a full 50% but its close.

HTH!

-b