[Gluster-users] Poor performance with small files

Ron Trompert ron.trompert at surfsara.nl
Wed Apr 29 17:25:59 UTC 2015

Hi,

We run gluster as storage solution for our Owncloud-based sync and share
service. At the moment we have about 30 million files in the system
which addup to a little more than  30TB. Most of these files are as you
may expect very small, i.e. in the 100KB ball park. For about a year
everything ran perfectly fine. We run 3.6.2 by the way.

Now we are trying to commission new hardware. We have done this by
adding the new nodes to our cluster and using the add-brick and
remove-brick procedure to get the data to the new nodes. In a week we
have migrated only 8.5TB this way. What are we doing wrong here? Is
there a way to improve the gluster performance on small files?

I have another question. If you want to setup a gluster that will
contain lots of very small files. What would be a good practice to set
things up in terms configuration, sizes of bricks related tot memory and
number of cores, number of brick per node etc.?

Best regards and thanks in advance,

Ron