[Gluster-users] Need information about geo-replication

Aravinda avishwan at redhat.com
Tue Apr 28 11:33:43 UTC 2015

1.
Checkpoints is a way to know the status of Sync. For example, we
can set Checkpoint now and Geo-rep status will show Sync is reached
checkpoint or not. If status says checkpoint is completed, means all
the files created in Master Volume till Checkpoint time is synced to
slave Volume. If Status says Checkpoint is not reached that means
Geo-rep still has to sync the files which were created till that checkpoint.

To simplify, Let us say if you want to generate a report using all
the files created till yesterday night. Set checkpoint time as Yesterday
night. Once the status says Checkpoint completed, you can confidently
generate
the report since all the files created till yesterday night is synced to
Slave Volume.

In upcoming Gluster release 3.7, one more column will be added in the
status output which shows last synced time. With this information usage
of checkpoint will be reduced.

Usage:

Create Checkpoint,
gluster volume geo-replication <MASTERVOL> <SLAVEHOST>::<SLAVEVOL>
config checkpoint now

Checkpoint status:
gluster volume geo-replication <MASTERVOL> <SLAVEHOST>::<SLAVEVOL> status

2. ignore-deletes option is not considered by geo-rep(their is a bug).
In upcoming release 3.7 this is fixed. By default it will be false.
(That means geo-rep syncs the deletes)

Both can be backported to 3.6.z, but may take some more time.

--
regards
Aravinda