[Gluster-users] Problmes with GlusterFS 3.6.2 Proxmox 3.3 using OpenVZ containers

wodel youchi wodel.youchi at gmail.com
Mon Apr 20 20:44:08 UTC 2015

Hi all,

We made  a setup of 3 Glusterfs nodes for one of our clients, two master
nodes and a slave node.
The GlusterFS storage is used with Proxmox hypervisors.

The platform :

Two hypervisors Proxmox v3.3 with latest updates

2 nodes GlusterFS 3.6.2 (latest updates) on Centos7.1x64 (latest updates) +
1 node for geo-replication.

On the cluster GlusterFS we have two volumes data1 and data2, each composed
of one brick, the two volumes are on : replicated mode.
the volumes are geo-replicated on the third node on slavedata1 and
slavedata2.

We're using OpenVZ containers for the services (web, mail, ftp ...etc.).

The problems:

1 - We're experiencing poor performance with our services, especially mail
and web : web pages are slow, if we start parallel jobs, creation/ a
restore of containers it took a lot of time, and sometimes job fails.

2 - We have also problems with geo-replication:
    a - It starts successfully, some days after we found it in faulty
state, we didn't find the cause of the problem yet.
    b - it does not continue synchronization, here is the little story:
     We had 16Gb of data on data2, they were synced correctly on the slave
volume: slavedata2, the we've copied a 100Gb container on the master
volume, the container is a zimbra mail server, the container was not
synced, we recreated the slavedata2 volume, the geo-replication stopped at
16Gb.
We stopped the container and recreated the slavedata2 volume again, this
time it seems working!!!??? at least for the moment, I keep monitoring.

3 - At some point we had to delete the geo-replication session, after
completing all the manipulations (recreating the slavedata2 volume), we
recreated the geo session, when we started it, it went to faulty state, the
gstatus command displayed : volume data2 is down (all bricks are down),
why??? no idea, the strange part: glu v info/status data2, commands didn't
show any error messages. We stopped and restarted the volume, and then we
started the geo-replication.

Questions :

1 - Is GlusterFS suitable for containers?
2 - If yes, do we have to tune it for small files usage? and if yes, any
advice?
3 - Is there a way to show options values of a volume?

Thanks in advance.