[Gluster-users] Clustered storage solution

Thorvald Hallvardsson thorvald.hallvardsson at gmail.com
Mon Apr 20 08:19:52 UTC 2015

Hi guys,

I have a question.

I need to setup a HA storage clustering on Linux. The main objective is to
make the cluster HA and as an extra feature load balanced as well. The
problem I'm facing with is the whole system is going to run on Hyper-V ;-).
That's the tricky bit. All the storage backends and disk presentation will
be done by Hyper-V via shared VHDX. Generally this means that Hyper-V ties
2 (or more) hard drives into one and can share it across multiple internal
VMs. There is no magic when it comes to Windows side of things as Windows
VM supports this solution natively. We have a bit of hard nut to crack if
it comes to Linux side of things. So I will be given a shared VHDX for my
Linux Storage VM and I need to create a cluster from these shared VHDX'es
to make the data HA and resilient. This scenario can be compared to the
single SAN storage presenting out the same LUN/disk to multiple VMs at the
same time. This is what Windows Hyper-V does in the backend to give me
VHSX. Single VHDX needs to be mounted on multiple storage VMs and then
these VMs needs to have a cluster aware file system on that VHDX and
present it out to the Linux clients which can simultaneously read and write
data onto it. I hope this is pretty clear.

I'm just wondering if GlusterFS is going to work in my configuration. If so
can you please give me some configuration hints on how I should configure
GlusterFS. If GlusterFS is not something I should look for can you please
give me any suggestion on what I should go and try with ?

Thank you in advance for your help.

Regards,
TH