[Gluster-users] Self healing not working (how to monitor)

Arne Brys arne.brys at icometrix.com
Fri Apr 17 14:14:04 UTC 2015

Hello,

We are using gluster replication for a high availability setup using 2
servers (using gluster 3.5).
Al has been running for a couple months now without any issues.

I now wanted to replace one of the servers and am following the following
documentation.
http://www.gluster.org/community/documentation/index.php/Gluster_3.4:_Brick_Restoration_-_Replace_Crashed_Server
Everything seems te be up and running however the self healing seems to be
either stuck or is not happening at all.

When running "gluster volume heal volume_name full" the output shows that
it was started correctly
Running "gluster volume heal volume_name info" shows something like

Brick node_1:/gluster-data/volume_name_brick/
Number of entries: 0

Brick node_2:/gluster-data/volume_name_brick/
<gfid:23d3a005-b249-4bbc-b5dd-6aca162cbaf8>
<gfid:7a3579e6-1bc8-4512-b5e8-9a528121c3c5>
<gfid:a8858652-3b7e-40e6-b641-01d7507db08f>

Width node_1 being the new one and a huge list of things to heal for node 2.
The command actually seems tho hang after some.

It also seams that there is no actual healing taking place except when I
access the files from the client side.

Is there any way I can monitor this better, what logs can I check to see of
healing is working properly or not at all.

Kind regards,
Arne Brys