[Gluster-users] gluster volume create

Andreas Hollaus andreas.hollaus at ericsson.com
Fri Apr 10 19:51:33 UTC 2015

Hi,

I wonder what happens when the command 'gluster volume create...' is
executed? How is the file system on the brick affected by that command,
data and meta-data (extended attributes)?

The reason for this question is that I have a strange use case where my
2 (mirrored) servers are restarted. At an early stage of the reboot
phase, I have to create a new gluster file system on each server so that
the same directory can be used for read access. Later on, I would like
to delete these single server volumes and replace them with the mirrored
gluster volume I used before the restart.

I guess I can restore the previous volume definition from a backup of
the gluster configuration files, but I'm worried that the 'gluster
volume create...' command might have affected the brick so that it is in
a different state compared to before the restart, when the restored
gluster configuration was valid. I realize that for this to work, the
extended attributes can not change while the mirrored volume is stopped.

Any idea if I can use glusterfs like this or am I violating some rules?

Regards
Andreas