[Gluster-users] Synchronous replication, or no?

Eric Mortensen eric at appstax.com
Thu Apr 9 14:47:26 UTC 2015

Hi all,

Thanks for the helpful responses everyone, I will look at the mounting
options suggested.

Just a quick question to confirm my understanding. When we all say
replication is synchronous, that does mean that each of the filesystem
operations on appserver1 that write a chunk of bytes to the file does not
return back to the caller until the same chunks of bytes have been written
to the OS filesystem cache/disk on the other appserver/brick, right? Or
does it mean something else?

Jeff: I don't really understand how a write-behind translator could keep
data in memory before flushing to the replication module if the replication
is synchronous. Or put another way, from whose perspective is the
replication synchronous? The gluster daemon or the creating client?

Eric