[Gluster-users] newbie quick question

Bill Dossett bill.dossett at pb.com
Fri Apr 3 16:36:19 UTC 2015

Hi, this is my first attempt at Gluster storage.

Just a quick help me get started question - the bare metal page yields a "not found" on the web site so...

I have two dell 2950s fully populated with 5 x 300GB 10K disks.

I want to get as much storage out of these as possible.

I have two more dell 2950s each with 4 x 146GB 10K disks.

Should I build one RAID 5 container on the first two servers, load up CentOS7 and then Gluster on that?  using the unused partition of what is left after loading CentOS?

Or should I be looking at moving physical disks around and putting the smaller 146 GB disks as RAID 1 in each of the 4 servers for OS and distributing the 300GB disks amoung all the servers and maybe pick some more up on Ebay to get all 4 servers identical?

Would appreciate any advice on short notice as I have nothing else to do today for once and would just as soon at least start off on the right foot!

Bill Dossett
Systems Architect

Tech Central - Global Engineering Services

T +1 303 440 3523
M +44 (0)777 590 8612
bill.dossett at pb.com<mailto:bill.dossett at pb.com>
pitneybowes.com<http://pitneybowes.com/>

Pitney Bowes
4750 Walnut Street | Boulder, Colorado, 80301 | USA

In Engineering?
Raise a ticket via Remedy Anywhere [HERE<applewebdata://5D25CA10-0BA9-4233-9DDF-69951F87F8AB/teamsite.inside.pb.com/sites/TCPPM/GES/Lists/Create%20Incident/newIncident.aspx>] takes less than a minute

CloudForms User Guide available [HERE<https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/6219441/ManageIQ%20-%20User%20Manual%20PB%20v5.pdf>]