[Gluster-users] Bricks as BTRFS

Venky Shankar vshankar at redhat.com
Thu Sep 25 06:53:07 UTC 2014

Hey folks,

Wanted to check if anyone out here uses BTRFS (and willing to share
their experiences[1]) as the backend filesystem for GlusterFS. We're
planning to explore some of it's features and put it to use for
GlusterFS. This was discussed briefly during the weekly meeting on
#gluster-meeting[2].

To start with, we plan to explore data/metadata checksumming (+
scrubbing) and subvolumes to "offload" the work to BTRFS. The mentioned
features would help us with BitRot detection[3] and Openstack Manila use
cases respectively (though there are various other nifty things one
would want to do with them).

Thanks in advance!

[1]: using any of it's features such as snapshot, data/metadata
checksumming, etc. as an added functionality for Gluster
[2]:
http://meetbot.fedoraproject.org/gluster-meeting/2014-09-24/gluster-meeting.2014-09-24-12.07.log.html
[3]:
http://www.gluster.org/community/documentation/index.php/Features/BitRot