[Gluster-users] Migrating data from a failing filesystem

james.bellinger at icecube.wisc.edu james.bellinger at icecube.wisc.edu
Tue Sep 23 15:26:52 UTC 2014

I inherited a non-replicated gluster system based on antique hardware.

One of the brick filesystems is flaking out, and remounts read-only.  I
repair it and remount it, but this is only postponing the inevitable.

How can I migrate files off a failing brick that intermittently turns
read-only?  I have enough space, thanks to a catastrophic failure on
another brick; I don't want to present people with another one.  But if I
understand migration correctly references have to be deleted, which isn't
possible if the filesystem turns read-only.

What I want to do is migrate the files off, remove it from gluster,
rebuild the array, rebuild the filesystem, and then add it back as a
brick.  (Actually what I'd really like is to hear that the students are
all done with the system and I can turn the whole thing off, but theses
aren't complete yet.)

Any advice or words of warning will be appreciated.

James Bellinger