[Gluster-users] Bricks vs LVM

Juan José Pavlik Salles jjpavlik at gmail.com
Fri Sep 19 21:55:59 UTC 2014

Hi Mark, as far as I know LVM gives you mainly flexibility. For instance if
you have a big RAID 5 volume, you can split it in smaller pieces and make
bricks for different volumes instead of having just a big brick. If you
want to keep things simple you can avoid LVM as long as you don't really
need it.

> What would you say are the efficiencies of using LVM to upgrade and add
> capacity to the glusterFS and this increasing the size of the bricks? Does
> gluster need to do anything when bricks are increased in size suddenly?
>
> Or should I really be not using LVM and adding more bricks explicitly?
>
> Just been thinking about this slide deck
>
> http://rhsummit.files.wordpress.com/2014/04/black_w_1650_red_hat_storage_server_administration_deep_dive1.pdf
>
> And why LVM is optional - I want to simplify my grid as much as poss.
>
> Cheers Mark

Pavlik Salles Juan José
Blog - http://viviendolared.blogspot.com