[Gluster-users] [Gluster-devel] Proposal for GlusterD-2.0

Jeff Darcy jdarcy at redhat.com
Sat Sep 13 02:32:35 UTC 2014

> Has anyone looked into whether LogCabin can provide the consistent small
> storage based on RAFT for Gluster?
>
> https://github.com/logcabin/logcabin
>
> I have no experience with using it so I cannot say if it is good or suitable.
>
> I do know the following project uses it and it's just not as easy to setup as
> Gluster is - it also has Zookeeper support etc.
>
> https://ramcloud.atlassian.net/wiki/display/RAM/RAMCloud

LogCabin is the canonical implementation of Raft, by the author of the Raft
protocol, so it was the first implementation I looked at.  Sad to say, it
didn't seem that stable.  AFAIK RAMCloud - itself an academic project - is
the only user, whereas etcd and consul are being used by multiple projects
and in production.  Also, I found the etcd code at least more readable than
LogCabin despite the fact that I've worked in C++ before and had never seen
any Go code until that time.  Then again, those were early days for all
three projects (consul didn't even exist yet) so things might have changed.