[Gluster-users] [Gluster-devel] Proposal for GlusterD-2.0

Krishnan Parthasarathi kparthas at redhat.com
Fri Sep 12 04:02:42 UTC 2014

----- Original Message -----
> On Thu, Sep 11, 2014 at 4:55 AM, Krishnan Parthasarathi
> <kparthas at redhat.com> wrote:
> >
> > I think using Salt as the orchestration framework is a good idea.
> > We would still need to have a consistent distributed store. I hope
> > Salt has the provision to use one of our choice. It could be consul
> > or something that satisfies the criteria for choosing alternate technology.
> > I would wait for a couple of days for the community to chew on this and
> > share their thoughts. If we have a consensus on this, we could 'port'
> > the 'basic'[1] volume management commands to a system built using Salt and
> > see for real how it fits our use case. Thoughts?
>

> I disagree. I think puppet + puppet-gluster would be a good idea :)
> One advantage is that the technology is already proven, and there's a
> working POC.
> Feel free to prove me wrong, or to request any features that it's missing. ;)

I am glad you joined this discussion. I was expecting you to join earlier :)

IIUC, puppet-gluster uses glusterd to perform glusterfs deployments. I think it's
important to consider puppet given its acceptance.What are your thoughts on building
'glusterd' using puppet?

The proposal mail describes the functions glusterd performs today. With that
as a reference could you elaborate on how we could use puppet to perform some
(or all) the functions of glusterd?

~KP