[Gluster-users] IOPS and CPU cycles, what is the relationship between the two?

Eliezer Croitoru eliezer at ngtech.co.il
Sun Sep 7 23:03:47 UTC 2014

Hello List,

The question is a fundamental for understanding storage and not 100%
about GlusterFS but I fell like it's the right place to ask it.

I am trying to understand CPU cycles vs IOPS.
Per each IO There must be a number of cycles of the CPU.
So in order to choose the right CPU couple factors are needed to be
right for the task.
For example a standard 7.2k RPS disk have maximum IOPS throughput.
A SSD drive will have twice and more IOPS throughput.
So let say I will take a celeron CPU with 2 cores which is a very low
power consumer and I will put 10-20 Disks on this machine, Will it be
able to handle the load of about 1.5k IOPS?
How can I calculate the maximum IOPS per CPU\machine possible?
There sure to be taken in account the Network traffic IOPS and also the
whole network handling code using up cycles etc.

I do not have the answer and I am seeking for either a reference which
will help to to understand it or a written explanation to the whole subject.

Thanks In Advance,
Eliezer Croitoru