[Gluster-users] Proposal for GlusterD-2.0

Krishnan Parthasarathi kparthas at redhat.com
Fri Sep 5 11:19:02 UTC 2014

----- Original Message -----
> On 5 Sep 2014, at 12:21, Kaushal M < kshlmster at gmail.com > wrote:
>

> - Peer membership management
> - Maintains consistency of configuration data across nodes (distributed
> configuration store)
> - Distributed command execution (orchestration)
> - Service management (manage GlusterFS daemons)
> - Portmap service for GlusterFS daemons
>
> Isn't some of this covered by crm/corosync/pacemaker/heartbeat?

Maybe, I haven't explored the above technologies. consul can be used
for all the different functions that glusterd performs today. consul
has service discovery and "leadership algorithms" for executing commands
in the cluster, in its 'toolbox'. Portmap service can be implemented as a
dictionary with glusterfs-server processes as the key and their ports as
the value. We can build further sophistication as we find use for.

~KP