[Gluster-users] [Gluster-devel] Regarding the write performance in replica 1 volume in 1Gbps Ethernet, get about 50MB/s while writing single file.

Jaden Liang jaden1q84 at gmail.com
Wed Sep 3 05:02:15 UTC 2014

Hi all,

We did some more tests and analysis yesterday. It looks like 50MB/s is the
top theoretical speed in replica 1 volume over 1Gbps network. GlusterFS
write 128KB data once a block, then wait for return. The 128KB data would
cost about 1ms in 1Gbps network. And in the server-side, it took about
800us to 1000us to write 128KB to the HDD and return. Plus some other 100us
to 200us time elapsed. GlusterFS would take about 2ms-2.2ms to finish a
128KB block data writing, which is about 50MB/s.

The question is that why don't glusterfs use pipeline writting or reading
to speed up this chatty process?