[Gluster-users] libgfapi management functions

RAGHAVENDRA TALUR raghavendra.talur at gmail.com
Mon Sep 1 19:26:15 UTC 2014

On Sat, Aug 30, 2014 at 9:12 PM, Prasad, Nirmal <nprasad at idirect.net> wrote:

>  Hi,
>

> Is there any plan or interest in getting the management functions added to
> gfapi? – looks pretty much like the client library functions could be
> added.
>

> eg. the present libgfapi has glfs_mgmt.c with a few rpc messages exchanged
> with glusterd
>

> https://github.com/gluster/glusterfs/blob/master/api/src/glfs-mgmt.c
>

> Any interest or plans to have more operations exposed (especially brick
> status change notifications to be propagated to applications)?  I’m
> wondering if gluster cli could be built on this library – it would involve
> taking the functionality that exists in the cli into a library and
> separating out the console interactions.
>

> Thanks
>
> Regards
>
> Nirmal

Hi Nirmal,

The file glfs_mgmt.c has only those functions which are required by the
client stack of glusterfs to interact with
glusterd. The management here refers to interaction of the process/library
with the glusterfs management daemon which is glusterd for its own purpose.

GFAPI is currently intended to be used only as a interface/api to the file
glusterfs filesystem and not for management operations.

Do you have a specific requirement which would require such a feature from
GFAPI?

There are other projects being developed to provide API for management
operations like
http://www.gluster.org/community/documentation/index.php/Features/rest-api

--
*Raghavendra Talur *