[Gluster-users] Expanding Volumes and Geo-replication

Paul Mc Auley lists at peema.org
Mon Sep 1 17:39:31 UTC 2014

Hi Folks,

Bit of a query on the process for setting this up and the best practices
for same.

I'm currently working with a prototype using 3.5.2 on vagrant and I'm
running into assorted failure modes with each pass.

The general idea is I start with two sites A and B where A has 3 bricks
used to build a volume vol at replica 3 and
B has 2 bricks with at replica 2 to also build vol.
I create 30 files is A::vol and then set up geo-replication from A to B
after which I verify that the files have appeared in B::vol.
What I want to do then is double the size of volumes (presumably growing
one and not the other is a bad thing)
by adding 3 bricks to A and 2 bricks to B.

I've had this fail number of ways and so I have a number of questions.

Is geo-replication from a replica 3 volume to a replica 2 volume possible?
Should I stop geo-replication before adding additional bricks? (I assume
yes)
Should I stop the volume(s) before adding additional bricks? (Doesn't
_seem_ to be the case)
Should I rebalance the volume(s) after adding the bricks?
Should I need to recreate the geo-replication to push-pem subsequently,
or can I do that out-of-band?
...and if so should I have to add the passwordless SSH key back in? (As
opposed to the restricted secret.pem)
For that matter in the inital setup is it an expected failure mode that
the initial geo-replication create will fail if the slave host's SSH key
isn't known?

Thanks,
     Paul