[Gluster-users] GlusteFS VS DRBD + power failure ?

Tytus Rogalewski tytanick at gmail.com
Mon Oct 27 20:34:48 UTC 2014

Hi guys,
I wanted to ask you about what happen in case of power failure.
I have 2 node proxmox cluster with glusterfs as sdb1 XFS, and mounted on
each node as localhost/glusterstorage.
I am storing VMs on it as qcow2(and inside ext4 filesystem).
 Live migration works ok WOW.. Everything works fine.
But tell me will something bad happen when the power will fail on whole
datacenter ?
Will be data corrupted and will be the same thing if i am using drbd ?
DRBD doesnt give me so much flexability(because i cant use qcow2 and store
files like iso or backups on drbd), but glusterfs does give me much
flexability !
Anyway yesterday i created glusterfs with ext4, and VM qcow with ext4 on it
and when i made "reboot -f"(i assume this is the same as i will pull power
cord off ?) - after node went online again, VM data was corrupted and i had
many ext failures inside VM.
Tell me was that because i used ext4 on top of sdb1 glusterfs storage or
will that work the same with XFS ?
Is drbd better  protection in case of power failure ?

Anyway second question, if i have 2 nodes with glusterfs.
node1 is changing file1.txt
node2 is changing file2.txt
then i will disconnect glusterfs in network, and data keeps changing on
both nodes)
After i will reconnect glusterfs how this will go?
Newer changed file1 from node1 will overwrite file1 on node2?
and newer file2 changed on node2 will overwrite file2 on node1 ?
Am i correct ?

Thx for answer :)