[Gluster-users] glusterfs-3.5.3beta1 has been released for testing

Niels de Vos ndevos at redhat.com
Mon Oct 6 16:59:56 UTC 2014

On Mon, Oct 06, 2014 at 02:30:11PM +0000, David F. Robinson wrote:
> When I installed the 3.5.3beta on my HPC cluster, I get the following
> warnings during the mounts:
>
> WARNING: getfattr not found, certain checks will be skipped..
> I do not have attr installed on my compute nodes.  Is this something that I
> need in order for gluster to work properly or can this safely be ignored?

These checks are done in the /sbin/mount.glusterfs shell script. One of
the things it does, is preventing users from mounting a volume on a
sub-directory of a brick.

It is not required to have 'attr' installed on clients that mount a
Gluster volume, but it surely is recommended for most users.

This change introduces the warning:
- http://review.gluster.org/5931
  mount.glusterfs: getopts support and cleanup

However, I do not think this is in glusterfs-3.5.3beta1. You probably
have installed a glusterfs-3.6.0 beta on this particular client system.

I think this is a bug in the packaging. It would be much user friendly
to depend on 'attr' and get it installed with glusterfs-fuse. Please
check the version you are using and file a bug for this:
- https://bugzilla.redhat.com/enter_bug.cgi?product=GlusterFS&component=build

Thanks,
Niels