[Gluster-users] 3.5.2 - files in transit not locked on target?

Prinsecchi, Paolo (Agoda) Paolo.Prinsecchi at agoda.com
Fri Oct 3 12:00:43 UTC 2014

Hello,
   A newbie question...

Environment:
2 x dedicated servers, Centos 6.4, Gluster 3.5.2. One master (in Asia), one slave (Europe). Used mainly to transport backup files for DRP purposes.
Clients accessing the servers via NFS (mostly windows servers).

Yesterday we upgraded from 3.4.2 to the latest & greatest version, 3.5.2.

In 3.4, files in transit would show up on the destination server with a temporary name, e.g. ".filename.<randomstring>", and would be renamed once the transfer completed. A client waiting for a specific file would get it only once the whole file had been transferred.

In 3.5, we are seeing files in transit showing up immediately on the destination, with the correct name, size gradually increasing and fully readable/writable. In other words, I can easily end up in a situation where a client reads a partial file.

I did a quick test.. started the transfer of a 10G file (it takes a few minutes). While in transit, I tried to open the file in RW mode on the destination, and had no problems doing so. I was even able to rename it while the transit was in progress.

Now, is this intentional behavior? If so, any way I can configure it to indicate somehow that files are still in transit (name change, file attributes, timestamp), or to switch back to 3.4 behavior?

Thanks,
  Paolo

This message is confidential and is for the sole use of the intended recipient(s). It may also be privileged or otherwise protected by copyright or other legal rules. If you have received it by mistake please let us know by reply email and delete it from your system. It is prohibited to copy this message or disclose its content to anyone. Any confidentiality or privilege is not waived or lost by any mistaken delivery or unauthorized disclosure of the message. All messages sent to and from Agoda may be monitored to ensure compliance with company policies, to protect the company's interests and to remove potential malware. Electronic messages may be intercepted, amended, lost or deleted, or contain viruses.