[Gluster-users] Export a gluster volume read-only to some clients but not all

James purpleidea at gmail.com
Fri Oct 3 04:39:22 UTC 2014

On 3 October 2014 00:30, Tom van Leeuwen <tom.van.leeuwen at saasplaza.com> wrote:
> I'm running gluster 3.4.2 and have the requirement to export a glusterfs
> volume read-only to some hosts, but definitely not all.
> Is there any way to achieve this without having to introduce a frontend nfs
> server?

You should only allow hosts access to your GlusterFS servers that you
trust. Firewall off the rest, and use auth.allow and auth.reject for
the others.

This is needed because GlusterFS doesn't have built in authentication.
So the answer is that you must mount the volume readonly with standard
mount 'ro' vs. 'rw' options.

If there is a better solution than this, I don't know it, and maybe
someone will let me know.

Cheers,
James