[Gluster-users] Need suggestion to change out put of volume status command

JF Le Fillâtre jean-francois.lefillatre at uni.lu
Wed Nov 26 13:41:48 UTC 2014

Hello Rafi,

For clarity and ease of fast visual identification, I would prefer #3. It would be even better to put a dash or something in the RDMA port column when RDMA is not used so that each line can be parsed easily with a relatively regular number of fields:

Status of volume: xcube
Gluster process                          TCP Port  RDMA Port   Online    Pid
Brick 192.168.44.108:/home/brick         49157     49158          Y      6030
NFS Server on localhost                  2049      -              Y      6532
Self-heal Daemon on localhost            N/A       N/A            N      6234

The only real downside is that any existing script that parses that output would have to be rewritten to offset the "Online" and "Pid" fields.

#1 makes parsing the output a little bit more complicated as it requires sub-parsing of the TCP,RDMA string. It's relatively easy to pick up the visual information though.

#2 is just too busy, too much information encoded in the value fields. Not easy on the eyes, and more annoying to parse than #1.

#4 is the one I like the least, for two reasons:
- currently as in options 1 to 3, each item of the first column is a separate entity. With #4 you have the same brick twice, which requires more sub-parsing or matching to discriminate.
- The access mode is encoded irregularly at the end of the name (.rdma but not .tcp). I believe that the access mode is not part of the name but is a property of the brick, and therefore should not be encoded in the name field.

Note that when I talk about difficulties of parsing, nothing in the four options you presented is impossible to parse. But #3 is the easiest with a trivial one-liner.

Thanks a lot for asking for our input! :)
JF

PS: "PID" is an acronym, can you spell it all caps please?