[Gluster-users] Need some clarifications about the disperse feature

Ayelet Shemesh shemesh.ayelet at gmail.com
Tue Nov 25 13:41:05 UTC 2014

Hello Gluster experts,

I have been using gluster for a small cluster for a few years now and I
have a question regarding the new disperse feature, which is for me a much
anticipated addition.

*Suppose* I create a volume with a disperse set of 3, redundancy 1 (let's
call them A1, A2, A3) and then I add 3 more bricks to that volume (we'll
call them B1, B2, B3).

*First question* - which of the bricks will be the one carrying the
redundancy data?

*Second question* - If I have machines with faster disk - should I assign
them to the data or the redundancy bricks? What should I expect the load to
be on the redundancy machine in heavy read scenarios and in heavy write
scenarios?

*Third question* - *does this require reading the entire data* of A1, A2
and A3 by initiating a heal or another operation?

*4th question* (and most important for me) - I saw in the list that it is
now a Distributed-Dispersed volume. I understand I can now lose, for
example bricks A1 and B1 and still have my entire data intact. Is this also
correct for bricks from the same set, for example A1 and A2?
Or to put it in a more generic way - *does this create the exact same
dispersed volume as if I created it originally with A1, A2 A3 B1 B2 B3 and
a redundancy of 2?*

Many thanks for your work and for your help on this list,
Ayelet