[Gluster-users] Sparse Files and Heal

Lindsay Mathieson lindsay.mathieson at gmail.com
Sat Nov 22 03:12:01 UTC 2014

On Sat, 22 Nov 2014 12:14:57 AM you wrote:
> Lindsay,
>
> Could you clarify your method of healing the vm-images?
> Did you use full heal, and once the heal completed, you switched to diff and
> let it finish?
> By the end, both bricks would consist of images with identical file sizes?

There's a story there ...

Initially it was diff, whch wasa problem as I had 8 VM images being healed
which killed the cpu on the 2 nodes.

I moved the VM's to one node, changed it to full and rebooted. That restored
performance.

But all my VM's are sparse allocated, on at 512GB with only 33GB used. I
noticed the file being healed had increased in real size to 200GB - obviously
the heal process wasn't catering to sparse files.

I switched back to diff and that stopped the real file size increase and
eventually the heal completed (overnight). Unfortunately the real file sizes
remained different - 512GB allocated on both bricks, but du showed ther
original was still 33GB whereas the healed one was 200GB.

I somewhat naively tried to force a resync by deleting the healed file on disk
and starting a heal. Heal reported the file as being healed, but it finished
much to quickly and the file on node 2 was not there. Disconcertingly, the
file showed on the gluster mount on node 1, but not on the gluster mount on
node 2.

In the end I deleted it and restored from backups.

--
Lindsay