[Gluster-users] v3.6.1 vs v3.5.2 self heal - help (Nagios related)

Vince Loschiavo vloschiavo at gmail.com
Wed Nov 19 16:20:50 UTC 2014

Hello Gluster Community,

I have been using the Nagios monitoring scripts, mentioned in the below
thread, on 3.5.2 with great success. The most useful of these is the self
heal.

However, I've just upgraded to 3.6.1 on the lab and the self heal daemon
has become quite aggressive.  I continually get alerts/warnings on 3.6.1
that virt disk images need self heal, then they clear.  This is not the
case on 3.5.2.  This

Configuration:
2 node, 2 brick replicated volume with 2x1GB LAG network between the peers
using this volume as a QEMU/KVM virt image store through the fuse mount on
Centos 6.5.

Example:
on 3.5.2:
*gluster volume heal volumename info:  *shows the bricks and number of
entries to be healed: 0

On v3.5.2 - During normal gluster operations, I can run this command over
and over again, 2-4 times per second, and it will always show 0 entries to
be healed.  I've used this as an indicator that the bricks are
synchronized.

Last night, I upgraded to 3.6.1 in lab and I'm seeing different behavior.
Running *gluster volume heal volumename info*, during normal operations,
will show a file out-of-sync, seemingly between every block written to disk
then synced to the peer.  I can run the command over and over again, 2-4
times per second, and it will almost always show something out of sync.
The individual files change, meaning:

Example:
1st Run: shows file1 out of sync
2nd run: shows file 2 and file 3 out of sync but file 1 is now in sync (not
in the list)
3rd run: shows file 3 and file 4 out of sync but file 1 and 2 are in sync
(not in the list).
nth run: shows 0 files out of sync
nth+1 run: shows file 3 and 12 out of sync.

>From looking at the virtual machines running off this gluster volume, it's
obvious that gluster is working well.  However, this obviously plays havoc
with Nagios and alerts.  Nagios will run the heal info and get different
and non-useful results each time, and will send alerts.

Is this behavior change (3.5.2 vs 3.6.1) expected?  Is there a way to tune
the settings or change the monitoring method to get better results into
Nagios.

Thank you,

--
-Vince Loschiavo