[Gluster-users] Initial sync

Ravishankar N ravishankar at redhat.com
Thu Nov 6 15:24:03 UTC 2014

On 11/05/2014 10:53 PM, Andreas Hollaus wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Maybe my GlusterFS source code is a bit old, but these scripts seem to
> be referred to as filters.

I do not know what the below references are either.
> ### glusterd-volgen.c ###
> .
> .
> .
> static void
> volgen_apply_filters (char *orig_volfile)
> {
>     DIR           *filterdir = NULL;
>     struct dirent  entry = {0,};
>     struct dirent *next = NULL;
>     char          *filterpath = NULL;
>     struct stat    statbuf = {0,};
>
>     filterdir = opendir(FILTERDIR);
> .
> .
> .
>
> Anyway, I was previously told to use a sed script as the volume files
> will be overwritten whenever an option is set using a CLI command. I
> have created such a script, but I wonder where I shall store it
> (according to the Makefile, the path depends on installation dir and
> release version and I'm only sure about the latter)?
>
> Maybe if I, as you say, edit the file before the volume is started
> this favorite-child setting will be read and then part of the volume
> settings that are stored whenever a CLI command is executed. No, I
> just tried this and the favorite-child option was removed when I later
> on set a new ping-timeout value. Seems like a script is required after
> all to make sure that the setting is persistent. I hope though that
> this setting is read from the volume file and handled, even though it
> is not rewritten in case I set other options(?).
Right, edits to volfile will be lost when a new volume set operation is
made as the files get rewritten. So you would have to use hook
scripts[1]. Since you want
to retain the fav-child option after every volume set operations, you
must place your sed script in /var/lib/glusterd/hooks/1/set/post/.

Here is a nice example of how to use them:
http://aravindavk.in/blog/effective-glusterfs-monitoring-using-hooks/

[1] http://www.gluster.org/community/documentation/index.php/Features/Hooks

> By the way, you told me to edit the 'trusted-<volname>.vol' file, but
> I also have a '<volname>.vol' file with similar contents. What's the
> difference between these and is it only the 'trusted-<volname>.vol'
> that is supposed to be edited?

Sorry I missed out the difference. If the client (mount) is on the same
node as the server(s) you need to edit the trusted.*.vol file. If your
client is a separate node, you need to edit the other one.

HTH,
Ravi