[Gluster-users] Initial sync

Ravishankar N ravishankar at redhat.com
Wed Nov 5 15:43:35 UTC 2014

On 11/05/2014 06:54 PM, Andreas Hollaus wrote:
> On 11/05/14 12:23, Ravishankar N wrote:
>> On 11/05/2014 03:18 PM, Andreas Hollaus wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I'm curious about this 5 phase transaction scheme that is described in the document
>>> (lock, pre-op, op, post-op, unlock).
>>> Are these stage switches all triggered from the client or can the server do it
>>> without notifying the client, for instance switching from 'op' to 'post-op'?
>> All stages are performed by the AFR translator in the client graph, where it is
>> loaded, in the sequence you listed.
> So the counters are stored on the servers (as extended attributes on the bricks), but
> increased and decreased by the client after fetching them from the servers? If so, I
> guess that the messages between those are just synchronous file system operations
> like read extended attributes, write file etc.
You got it right. Lock the file on the bricks, set xattrs on bricks,
write to bricks, clear xattrs on bricks (success case), unlock file on
bricks.

> Is the client created whenever a GlusterFS volume is mounted?
Correct. You give the hostname+volume name to mount process which it
uses to fetches the volfile graph from the server, reads it and loads
the appropriate xlators.
>   As I'm running both
> server and client on the same board it's a bit hard to distinguish them from each other.
>>> Decreasing the counter for the local pending operations could be done without talking
>>> to the client, even though I realize a message has to sent to the other server(s),
>>> possibly through the client.
>>>
>>> The reason I ask is that I'm trying to estimate the risk of ending up in a split
>>> brain situation, or at least understand if our servers will 'accuse' each other
>>> temporarily during this 5 phase transaction under normal circumstances. If I
>>> understand who sends messages to who and I what order, I'll have a better chance to
>>> see if we require any solution to split brain situations. As I've experienced
>>> problems to setup the 'favorite-child' option, I want to know if it's required or
>>> not. In our use case, quorum is not a solution, but losing some data is acceptable as
>>> long as the bricks are in sync.
>> If a file is split-brained, AFR does not allow modifications  by clients on it
>> until the split-brain is resolved. The afr xattrs and heal mechanisms ensure that
>> the bricks are in sync, so worries on that front.
> I know about the input/output error in case of a split brain and that is something we
> must avoid at any cost. That's the reason why 'favorite-child' seems like a good idea
> for us, but my filter script is not executed even though I tried a couple of probable
> locations to store it at. It's a bit hard to be absolutely sure what that filter path
> macro contained at the time the GlusterFS package was built. It would have been
> easier if the path existed, even though it was empty if no filters were used.
> According to the source code, there are some return statements due to errors that
> could also be the reason for not running the filter script. Are there any ways to set
> verbose level to get some more clues to what's going on?
Not sure I follow you on what a filter script is (hook scripts?), but
yes, you can use the  favourite-child option to pick the source for
split-brained files. I don't think it's a supported/tested feature
though. It can't be set using gluster CLI. You will have to edit the
volfile manually and add this option before starting the volume like so:

#cat /var/lib/glusterd/vols/testvol/trusted-testvol-fuse.vol

<snip>
volume testvol-replicate-0
     type cluster/replicate
*option favorite-child testvol-client-1*
     subvolumes testvol-client-0 testvol-client-1
end-volume
</snip>

-Ravi