[Gluster-users] iowait issues

Ben Turner bturner at redhat.com
Tue Nov 4 16:57:59 UTC 2014

----- Original Message -----

What is you NW bandwidth?  If you are using gigabit then I can see this as the problem.  I have found that without at very least 20 MB / sec of throughput per VM they get difficult to use with a GUI.  So with gigabit and replication:

Gigabit = 120 MB / sec, divide that by 2 for replication:

60 MB / sec / 4 VMs = 15 MB / sec per VM

That is under the at least 20 that I like to see.  With gluster you are using 1/2 you bandwidth for replication and with the NAS you are probably getting the full gigabit.  Also having the RAID on the NAS defiantly helps, but I think in this case you are probably hitting the NIC as the bottleneck.  I would look at NW bandwith first and then look at RAID, you need to have a fast enough back end to service the bandwidth of your NICs.  Also the more spindles you have the better IOPS / smallfile / random IO will be.  What about 10G NW cards or NIC bonding?  How many VMs are you looking to run?  What sort of workload?

-b