[Gluster-users] iowait - ext4 + ssd journal

Lindsay Mathieson lindsay.mathieson at gmail.com
Tue Nov 4 01:37:37 UTC 2014

On 4 November 2014 11:28, Paul Robert Marino <prmarino1 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Use XFS instead of EXT4
> There are many very good reasons its the new default filesystem in RHEL 7

xfs can't use a external journal.

Those many good reasons would be? are they relevant to backing a
shared filesystem serving VM images?

> Also SSDs are faster at random IO and small file; however a properly built
> RAID of spinning disks is still faster at linear reads of large file.

Well and good, but I don't have RAID. And unless one goes RAID10,
generally they are slower at writes.

> In general qemu does large linear reads or at least very close to it of the
> VM's virtual disks on boot.

As I noted. Its the randowm writes & reads after boot that are giving me issues.

> --
> Lindsay

Lindsay