[Gluster-users] RHEL6.6 provides Gluster 3.6.0-28.2 ?

Niels de Vos ndevos at redhat.com
Sun Nov 2 20:04:46 UTC 2014

On Sun, Nov 02, 2014 at 07:06:14PM +0000, Alan Orth wrote:
> What's the prevailing wisdom on this?  For now I've just done the following
> on my (CentOS) GlusterFS client:
>
> yum update -x "glusterfs*"

(1) The main problem is that RHEL/CentOS now provides the glusterfs
client packages in a version that is higher than the community GlusterFS
packages. RHEL (or rather Red Hat Storage) took a pre-release of
glusterfs-3.6 and included that in RHEL-6.6. This means that on
updating, yum will find the newer RHEL packages, but there is no
matching glusterfs-server. If you have glusterfs-server installed from
the gluster.org repository, yum can not update glusterfs-server, and
dependency errors are the result.

(2) There is an other complication in solving this issue. The 3.6
release from the community provides libgfapi.so.7, whereas the RHEL
packages provide libgfapi.so.0. Any applications (like qemu and
samba-vfs-gluster) that link against the library, would need to be
re-build when the community packages are used.

The first problem is going to be solved by releasing glusterfs-3.6.1 in
the following days. This makes the community version have a higher
version than the packages in RHEL/CentOS, and yum would prefer these and
it can resolve all dependencies, including glusterfs-server.

The second problem is a little more complicated to solve. We have been
discussing reverting the change that causes the version of the library
to increase, and replace it with a more fine-grained symbol-versioning.
A rebuild of the related packages would then not be needed, and the
libgfapi.so library will get loaded without issue by the existing
binaries in the RHEL/CentOS repositories/channels.

We'll be updating the mailinglists about progress on these topics, and I
think a blog post will be published too.

Cheers,
Niels