[Gluster-users] Glusterfs high memory usage

Reinis Rozitis r at roze.lv
Thu May 29 16:05:37 UTC 2014

>  PID USER      PR  NI  VIRT  RES  SHR S %CPU %MEM    TIME+  COMMAND
>  1892 root      20   0 10.2g 4.7g 1900 S   15 61.1   8980:27 glusterfs

> 10 GBytes is tooooo much for a process and we want to know if there is
> anything we can do too solve this situation.

In general VIRT (virtual) is not the memory you should be looking at but the
RES (resident) which is 4.7G and is the actual memory the process is using.

You can cleary see it from:
> Mem:   8125496k total,  5948512k used,  2176984k free

Eg your server has only 8Gb of physical ram and 2Gb free  so there is no way
a process can eat up "actual" 10 Gigs (unless Linux virtual memory).

The bad thing though you have quite a large swap size and it's being used:

> Swap: 14878048k total,  5731656k used, 9146392k free,   109640k cached

I would suggest to run:

sysctl -w vm.swappiness=0

(and then set it in sysctl.conf for permanet use) so the systems avoids
swapping as much as possible.

p.s. to understand more about Linux memory management you might to look at
this presentation https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=twQKAoq2OPE

rr