[Gluster-users] single problematic node (brick)

Doug Schouten doug.schouten at gmail.com
Tue May 20 18:16:21 UTC 2014

Hello,

	I have a rather simple Gluster configuration that consists of 85TB
distributed across six nodes. There is one particular node that seems to
fail on a ~ weekly basis, and I can't figure out why.

I have attached my Gluster configuration and a recent log file from the
problematic node. For a user, when the failure occurs, the symptom is
that any attempts to access the Gluster volume from the problematic node
fails with "transport endpoint not connected" error.

Restarting the Gluster daemons and remounting the volume on the failed
node always fixes the problem. But usually by that point some number of
jobs in our batch queue have failed b/c of this issue already, and it's
becoming a headache.

It could be a fuse issue, since I see many related error messages in the
Gluster log, but I can't disentangle the various errors. The relevant
line in my /etc/fstab file is

server:global /global glusterfs
defaults,direct-io-mode=disable,log-level=WARNING,log-file=/var/log/gluster.log
0 0

Any ideas on the source of the problem? Could it be a hardware (network)
glitch? The fact that it only happens on one node that is identically
configured (with same hardware) as other nodes points to something like
that.

thanks! Doug