[Gluster-users] GlusterFS poor read performance

French Teddy frenchteddy at gmail.com
Sat May 17 01:10:54 UTC 2014

I'm trying to solve poor performance of my web site.

My webserver root is on a glusterfs mount; I'm using jMeter to do the
load testing.

When I send a single request, the servers handles it in about 300ms.
When doing 200 concurrent connections:
- from a regular folder, the request takes between 1700 and 2000ms
- from a glusterfs local mount, the request times out at 15s

I've traced the php script and pin-pointed the problem to a system call
"is_file()" which eats up 99.99% of the script execution.

So why is reading through Glusterfs 100x slower than the local folder?
is there a way to improve that?

Thanks in advance

greg