[Gluster-users] 32 group limit

Harshavardhana harsha at harshavardhana.net
Mon May 12 15:49:47 UTC 2014

Hey Tom,

http://review.gluster.org/7501 - this fixes your issues, its currently
on the master branch should be backported to release-3.5 branch.
Copying Niels he can explain more.

    rpc: implement server.manage-gids for group resolving on the bricks

    The new volume option 'server.manage-gids' can be enabled in
    environments where a user belongs to more than the current absolute
    maximum of 93 groups. This option triggers the following behavior:

    1. The AUTH_GLUSTERFS structure sent by GlusterFS clients (fuse, nfs or
       libgfapi) will contain only one (1) auxiliary group, instead of
       a full list. This reduces network usage and prevents problems in
       encoding the AUTH_GLUSTERFS structure which should fit in 400 bytes.
    2. The single group in the RPC Calls received by the server is replaced
       by resolving the groups server-side. Permission checks and similar in
       lower xlators are applied against the full list of groups where the
       user belongs to, and not the single auxiliary group that the client
       sent.

On Mon, May 12, 2014 at 8:24 AM, Tom Young <tom.young at corvidtec.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Can anyone tell me how I can increase the number of groups that gluster
> recognizes from the default 32, to 96?  I’ve heard that we can set gluster
> to use 96 groups, but I’m not certain how to enable/configure that.  Thank
> you!
>

> Tom

Religious confuse piety with mere ritual, the virtuous confuse
regulation with outcomes