[Gluster-users] Possible to use libgfapi with libvirt in CentOS 6.5?

Lalatendu Mohanty lmohanty at redhat.com
Sat Mar 29 20:46:40 UTC 2014

On 03/29/2014 06:46 AM, Dave Christianson wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I just installed a Fedora 20 test host, and after struggling with
> dependencies I'm happy to report that everything works perfectly. I'm
> not relying on the virt-manager gui at all, and from what I'm reading,
> currently libvirt cannot start an image from gluster via libgfapi
> anyway(?).
>
> For various reasons I don't wish to use Fedora in my production
> environment, so until the SIG group works their magic, if there is a
> way to compile the latest sources for qemu and libvirt on CentOS or
> Debian, I'll be in business.
>
> The performance difference between libgfapi and fuse is like night and
> day, very impressive. I never want to have to go back to running VM's
> over fuse again.
>
> Thanks again to everyone,
> David

Hey David,

Thanks for confirming about Fedora 20. Regarding  "currently libvirt
cannot start an image from gluster via libgfapi anyway(?)."  Do you mean
using virt-manager you cann't see a vm image through libgfapi and you
need a fuse mount for this? But you can modify vm instance through qemu
tools and then use libgfapi.

Yes, there is a way to compile latest code available compile it for
CentOS6.5. Here are the steps.

  * We need relevant spec file and source code  to build RPM.
  * Spec file can be found by extracting [1] the source RPM of latest
    libvirt of CentOS 6.5 [2] or publicly available latest RHEL6.5
    libvirt src RPM [3].
  * For source we can take the source from Fedora20 [4] (again extract
    from src RPM) as it will be stabler than upstream latest code.
  * And try to create RPM using spec file of CentOS and source code of
    Fedora.

If you have specific questions on it , we can take help from Kaleb, or
we can contact centos-devel mailing list. I am also working with it and
if possible will provide the packages in gluster repository[5].

/However, I think we dont have enough documentation[6] on this and we
badly need documentation on this. The documentation should have
information about using libgfapi with qemu and libvirt. May be an
example with Fedora 20 or some other distros would be good.
/

/I have created a gluster wiki page[6] for this. I would request
everybody (specially in this email thread :)) to contribute for it. //If
you are new in gluster documentation refer [7] for details/.

[1]
http://www.cyberciti.biz/tips/how-to-extract-an-rpm-package-without-installing-it.html
[2] http://vault.centos.org/6.5/os/Source/SPackages/
[3] http://ftp.redhat.com/pub/redhat/linux/enterprise/6Server/en/os/SRPMS/