[Gluster-users] migrating data with "remove-brick"

Zhu, Shan Shan.zhu at ccur.com
Wed Mar 26 00:38:36 UTC 2014

Hi,

There is a post some time ago about migrating data using "remove-brick".

http://www.gluster.org/pipermail/gluster-users/2012-October/034473.html

Is that approach reliable? Why is it still not officially documented?

I followed the instruction to run the command on a distributed volume bricks, using gluster version 3.4.2. It works for small number of files. However, when I tried with a large storage space with a large number of files, after the migration, it looks like some files are missing.

Here it is the process:

(1)  Check volume info

# gluster volume info

Volume Name: content
Type: Distribute
Volume ID: 48485504-e89d-4146-afd3-356397e5d541
Number of Bricks: 3
Transport-type: tcp
Bricks:
Brick1: adsfsvip:/data/c01
Brick2: adsfsvip:/data/c03
Brick3: adsfsvip:/data/c02
Options Reconfigured:
nfs.disable: OFF

(2) Check number of files in the volume, for verification of content migration and rebalance.

# for i in 1 2 3; do tree /data/c0$i | grep files; done
661 directories, 27126 files
661 directories, 15619 files
661 directories, 28531 files

# tree /data | grep files
1995 directories, 71276 files

(3) Running command "remove-brick" with "start" to start migrating content. Suppose we want to migrate content on Brick3 to other bricks.

# gluster volume remove-brick content adsfsvip:/data/c02 start
volume remove-brick start: success
ID: 06891565-b584-4ab5-a015-3bda991f2454

(4) The data migration may take some time, run the following command to periodically check the migration process.

[root at ads1 glusterfs]# while [ 1 ] ; do gluster volume remove-brick content adsfsvip:/data/c02 status; echo; sleep 2 ; done
                                    Node Rebalanced-files          size       scanned      failures       skipped         status run-time in secs
                               ---------      -----------   -----------   -----------   -----------   -----------   ------------   --------------
                               localhost             4821        19.0GB         13427             0    in progress           286.00

                                    Node Rebalanced-files          size       scanned      failures       skipped         status run-time in secs
                               ---------      -----------   -----------   -----------   -----------   -----------   ------------   --------------
                               localhost             4849        19.1GB         13455             0    in progress           288.00

                                    Node Rebalanced-files          size       scanned      failures       skipped         status run-time in secs
                               ---------      -----------   -----------   -----------   -----------   -----------   ------------   --------------
                               localhost             4877        19.3GB         13656             0    in progress           290.00

                                   Node Rebalanced-files          size       scanned      failures       skipped         status run-time in secs
                               ---------      -----------   -----------   -----------   -----------   -----------   ------------   --------------
                               localhost            24864       148.3GB         61459             0    in progress          1525.00

                                    Node Rebalanced-files          size       scanned      failures       skipped         status run-time in secs
                               ---------      -----------   -----------   -----------   -----------   -----------   ------------   --------------
                               localhost            24871       148.3GB         61465             0      completed          1526.00

(5) Check the number of files at each brick in the volume. The number of files at the brick we just ran "remove-brick" over should be 0.

[root at ads1 glusterfs]# for i in 1 2 3; do tree /data/c0$i | grep files; done
661 directories, 29533 files
661 directories, 0 files
661 directories, 35666 files

(6) However, the total number of files is reduced from 71276 to 65199. Do we lose some files in the migration process?

[root at ads1 glusterfs]# tree /data | grep files
1995 directories, 65199 files

Thank you and best regards,

Leo