[Gluster-users] Bring up a brick after disk failure

Ted Miller tmiller at hcjb.org
Wed Mar 19 18:22:56 UTC 2014

On 3/19/2014 7:17 AM, tegner at renget.se wrote:
> Hi,
>
> One of my bricks suffered from complete raid failure, (3 disks on raid6). I
> created a new raid, and wanted to bring the brick back up in the volume.
> Did the following
> 1. Removed it with
> gluster volume remove-brick gluster s1:/mnt/raid6 start
> gluster volume remove-brick gluster s1:/mnt/raid6 commit
>
> 2. Detached with
> gluster peer detach s1
>
> 3. Probed anew:
> gluster peer probe s1
>
> 4. Tried to add with
> gluster volume add-brick gluster s1:/mnt/raid6
>
> But last one fails with
> Stage failed on operation 'Volume Add brick'
>
> I'm using 3.4.2.
>
> Thanks,
>
> /jon
WARNING: I'm not even sure if this is true, or if I changed something else,
but I give you my experience to try.

I was having trouble adding an additional brick to my replica array, and I
was getting the same (or a similar) message.  I then tried adding the brick
from the command line on the machine where the brick is located.  All of the
sudden I began to get meaningful error messages.  As far as I know, the only
thing I changed was which computer I sshed into, but it made all the
difference in the world. The error messages were quite specific, and easy to
understand.

I am curious if others have experienced the same thing.

Ted Miller
Elkhart, IN, USA