[Gluster-users] How to compile gluster 3.4 on Mac OS X 10.8.4?

Dan Mons dmons at cuttingedge.com.au
Sat Mar 15 00:25:03 UTC 2014

On 14 March 2014 08:10, Justin Clift <justin at gluster.org> wrote:
> Native OSX client! :)
>
> OSX is my main desktop, so this appeals to me.

I admin three sites in the creative industries packed full of MacOSX
workstations, so a native MacOSX GlusterFS client also appeals to me
greatly.  Following with interest.

> The NFS client on OSX is amazingly lousy.  Not reliable, huge performance
> problems, etc.  All on OSX side (Google "OSX" and "NFS" for an extensive
> list).

I cannot even begin to describe to you the hell I've suffered at the
hands of Apple's NFS client.  After 6 months of production headaches,
we've written it off as completely non-functional (and this has
nothing to do with Gluster - NFS is broken on MacOSX regardless of
which vendor is supplying the NFS storage).

We now rely on Samba on top of GlusterFS to server our Macs, and that
too is painful (no NFS3-style authenticationless mounting means all
sorts of heartache when dealing with a large, multi-user UNIX
environment).

Again, GlusterFS native on MacOSX would be a dream.  Anyone working on
this has me as a very gracious beta tester with ~400TB of GlusterFS
storage in production and a network full of users very willing to test
your code.

-Dan