[Gluster-users] How to force split-brain

Viktor Villafuerte viktor.villafuerte at optusnet.com.au
Wed Mar 12 06:45:35 UTC 2014

Hi all,

I'm trying to break (split-brain) Gluster but I don't seem to be able to
succeed :)

Steps:

1) create file
2) find which replica 'hosts' it
3) reboot server1 in replica
4) make changes to file on server2
5) reboot server2 in replica
6) when server1 comes back up make other changes to file
7) when server2 comes back up logs say 'split-brain' (GOOD)
8) Gluster self-heals 'split-brain' disappears from logs (BAD)

I'd like to manually recover from the split-brain scenario but I simply
cannot achive state of things when Gluster takes no action and manual
interverntion is expected.

I did find on the internet split-brain howtos which follow my path of
execution.

Any suggestions on how to break replicated/distributed setup?

Regards

Viktor Villafuerte
Optus Internet Engineering
t: 02 808-25265