[Gluster-users] Has anyone dockerized gluster yet?

James purpleidea at gmail.com
Mon Mar 10 21:54:41 UTC 2014

On Mon, Mar 10, 2014 at 4:20 PM, Jay Vyas <jayunit100 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi folks.
>
> Well, after James Shubin's tour-de-awesome of Gluster on vagrant, i think we
> all learned two things:

Who :P

> - james is an awesome hacker

Thank you!

> - vagrant isnt ready for primetime on KVM yet.

Sadly, I agree, but not necessarily for the same reason. It was
supposed to be included in Fedora 20 as a feature/package, but
something happened, and it got pushed back. Once this happens, I think
all the important barriers are gone.

The other issue was the lack of proper vagrant boxes, but I consider
this now solved, especially with the hosted box that I provide [1]
(thanks to JMW for the hosting), and because you can build you own
with other tools, including my own:
https://ttboj.wordpress.com/2014/01/20/building-base-images-for-vagrant-with-a-makefile

> So, an alternative for quick and easy spin up of gluster systems for
> dev/test would be a docker recipe for gluster on fedora/centos/...

I don't see it as an alternative, actually, I see using Docker with
GlusterFS as being another goal that needs more investigating :)

> Has anyone set up a docker container that installs and mounts a couple of
> gluster peers as linux containers yet?  It love to see how that works, and
> then maybe layer in hadoop on top of it.

I recently saw this:

https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/gluster-devel/2014-03/msg00010.html

Which I wanted to reply to, but didn't have time to yet.
Sorry Kaushal!

> Jay Vyas
> http://jayunit100.blogspot.com

Cheers,