[Gluster-users] HealthChecks for Gluster

Paul Cuzner pcuzner at redhat.com
Mon Mar 10 04:46:16 UTC 2014

Hi all,

I found that the gluster CLI's lack of a health check command to be pretty annoying, and I'm sure many of you have found the same thing!

I'm equally sure that a great many of you have put scripts together to bridge this functionality gap - but, why have one tool when you can have more :)

I've written a python tool call gstatus that's available on the forge ( https://forge.gluster.org/gstatus ) It performs a number of health checks on a cluster, providing a point-in-time view of what's going on.

At the moment it's dependant upon glusterfs 3.4 (since I'm using the xml output from various gluster commands), but it shows things like

[root at glfs35-1 gstatus]# gstatus -a

Glusterfs: 3.5.0beta3 60.00 GiB(usable)

Nodes : 4/ 4 Volumes: 2 Up
Self Heal: 4/ 4 0 Up(Degraded)
Bricks : 8/ 8 0 Up(Partial)
0 Down
Volume Information
myvol UP - 4/4 bricks up - Distributed-Replicate
Capacity: (0% used) 77.00 MiB/20.00 GiB (used/total)
Self Heal: 4/ 4 All files in sync
Protocols: glusterfs:on NFS:off SMB:off

dist UP - 4/4 bricks up - Distribute
Capacity: (0% used) 129.00 MiB/40.00 GiB (used/total)
Self Heal: N/A
Protocols: glusterfs:on NFS:on SMB:on

Status Messages
- Cluster is HEALTHY, all checks successful

You install it with " python setup.py install " (you'll need python-setuptools rpm). However, if you're just curious, you can take a look at the examples directory in the download archive to see how the tool reports on various error scenarios (nodes down, bricks down etc). It's

It's at version 0.45, so it's still early days and subject to the limited scenarios I can throw at it - so there will be bugs!

Anyway, if you have the time give it a go and see if it helps you. And if it misses the mark in your environment, let me know what else it should do and why.

Cheers,

Paul C