[Gluster-users] Testing Gluster 3.2.4 in VMware

Carlos Capriotti capriotti.carlos at gmail.com
Fri Mar 7 16:56:08 UTC 2014

Hello, Daniel.
I am also testing gluster on vmware; in my application, it will be a
secondary datastore for VM images.

So far, I've hit a couple of brick walls, like, for instance, VMware not
reading volumes created as striped, or striped + replicated. It simply sits
there, trying, four hours, without errors on either sides.

But your current configuration WILL work.

As a suggestion, to begin with your troubleshooting, try disabling firewall
and SElinux. nothing to do with your current problem, BUT will matter in
the near future. After you are sure all works, go back an re-enable/ fine
tune them.

Now to your problem...

Your first syntax seem to be a bit off,unless it is a typo;

sudo mount.glusterfs 192.168.100.170:gv0 /mnt/export

you see, there is a slash missing after. It should read

sudo mount.glusterfs 192.168.100.170:/gv0 /mnt/export

For the second case, you did not post the error message, so I can only
suggest you try copying/pasting this:

sudo mount -t glusterfs 192.168.100.170:/gv0 /mnt/export

Now, here is another trick: try mounting wit nfs:

First, make sure your NFS share is really being shared:

# showmount -e 192.168.100.170

Alternatively, if you are on one of the gluster servers, just for testing,
you may try:

# showmount -e localhost

Make sure your gluster volume is REALLY called gv0.

Now you can try mounting with:

sudo mount -t nfs 192.168.100.170:/gv0 /mnt/export

Again, if you are on one of the servers, try

sudo mount -t nfs localhost:/gv0 /mnt/export

You might want to "sudo su" to run everything all commands as root, without
the hassle of sudoing everything.

Give it a try. If nfs works, go for it anyway; It is your only option for
VMware/esxi anyway.

There are a few more advanced steps on esxi and on gluster, but let's get
it to work first, right ?

Cheers,