[Gluster-users] One node goes offline, the other node loses its connection to its local Gluster volume

Greg Scott GregScott at infrasupport.com
Fri Mar 7 00:48:54 UTC 2014

> In your real-life concern, the interconnect would not interfere with the existence of either
> machines' ip address so after the ping-timeout, operations would resume in a split-brain
> configuration. As long as no changes were made to the same file on both volumes, when the
> connection is reestablished, the self-heal will do exactly what you expect.

Except that's not what happens.  If I ifdown that interconnect NIC, I should see the file system after 42 seconds, right?  But I don't.  Email butchers the output below, but what it shows is, I can look at my /firewall-scripts directory just fine when things are steady state.  I ifdown the interconnect NIC, that directory goes away.  I wait more than 2 minutes and it still doesn't come back.  And then when I ifup the NIC, everything goes back to normal after a few seconds.

[root at stylmark-fw1 ~]# ls /firewall-scripts
allow-all           etc                  initial_rc.firewall  rcfirewall.conf            var
allow-all-with-nat  failover-monitor.sh  rc.firewall          start-failover-monitor.sh
[root at stylmark-fw1 ~]# date
Thu Mar  6 18:39:42 CST 2014
[root at stylmark-fw1 ~]# ifdown enp5s4
[root at stylmark-fw1 ~]# ls /firewall-scripts
ls: cannot access /firewall-scripts: Transport endpoint is not connected
[root at stylmark-fw1 ~]# date
Thu Mar  6 18:41:50 CST 2014
[root at stylmark-fw1 ~]# ls /firewall-scripts
ls: cannot access /firewall-scripts: No such file or directory
[root at stylmark-fw1 ~]# ifup enp5s4
[root at stylmark-fw1 ~]# ls /firewall-scripts
ls: cannot access /firewall-scripts: No such file or directory
[root at stylmark-fw1 ~]# df -h
Filesystem                       Size  Used Avail Use% Mounted on
/dev/mapper/fedora-root           17G  2.3G   14G  14% /
devtmpfs                         989M     0  989M   0% /dev
tmpfs                            996M     0  996M   0% /dev/shm
tmpfs                            996M  524K  996M   1% /run
tmpfs                            996M     0  996M   0% /sys/fs/cgroup
tmpfs                            996M     0  996M   0% /tmp
/dev/sda2                        477M   87M  362M  20% /boot
/dev/sda1                        200M  9.6M  191M   5% /boot/efi
/dev/mapper/fedora-gluster--fw1  9.8G   33M  9.8G   1% /gluster-fw1
192.168.253.1:/firewall-scripts  9.8G   33M  9.8G   1% /firewall-scripts
[root at stylmark-fw1 ~]# ls /firewall-scripts
allow-all           etc                  initial_rc.firewall  rcfirewall.conf            var
allow-all-with-nat  failover-monitor.sh  rc.firewall          start-failover-monitor.sh
[root at stylmark-fw1 ~]#

> You can avoid the split-brain using a couple of quorum techniques, the one that would seem to satisfy your
> requirements leaving your volume read-only during the duration of the outage.

I like this idea - how do I do it?

- Greg