[Gluster-users] iSCSI and Gluster

Carlos Capriotti capriotti.carlos at gmail.com
Wed Mar 5 17:28:35 UTC 2014

Hi all. Again.

I am still fighting that "VMware esxi cannot use striped gluster volumes"
thing, and a couple of crazy ideas are coming to mind.

One of them is using iSCSI WITH gluster, and esxi connecting via iSCSI.

My experience with iSCSI is limited to a couple of FreeNAS test installs,
and some tuning on FreeNAS and esxi in order to implement multipathing, but
nothing dead serious.

I remember that after creating a volume and formating it (zvol), THEN space
was allocated to iSCSI. Makes some sense, since iSCIS is a block device,
and after it is available, the operating system will actually use it. But
it is a bit foggy.

I am trying to bypass the present limitation on Gluster, which refuses to
talk to esxi using a striped volume.

So, here is the question: anyone here uses gluster and iSCSI ?

Would anyone care to comment on performance of this kind of solution, pros
and cons ?

Thanks.