[Gluster-users] Script and tips for parallelizing rsync

Alan Orth alan.orth at gmail.com
Wed Jul 9 11:42:40 UTC 2014

Hi,

I recently had a RAID failure on one of my Gluster replicas; luckily my
replica was ok, and I could re-sync all the data to the bad node's
bricks.  I used rsync to pre-seed the brick data, rather than having
Gluster's self-heal daemon try to figure it out.

It turns out I had way more files than I realized, which exposed some
problems with "traditional" rsync invocation.  I found some clever ways
to optimize the transfer and speed up the process, and wrote up my
experiences on my blog:

http://mjanja.co.ke/2014/07/parallelizing-rsync/

Hope this helps someone!

--
Alan Orth
alan.orth at gmail.com
http://alaninkenya.org
http://mjanja.co.ke
"I have always wished for my computer to be as easy to use as my telephone; my wish has come true because I can no longer figure out how to use my telephone." -Bjarne Stroustrup, inventor of C++
GPG public key ID: 0x8cb0d0acb5cd81ec209c6cdfbd1a0e09c2f836c0