[Gluster-users] Gluster high RPC calls and reply

Niels de Vos ndevos at redhat.com
Mon Jul 7 11:06:26 UTC 2014

On Sun, Jul 06, 2014 at 11:28:51PM +1000, Gurdeep Singh (Guru) wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have setup gluster in replicate type and its working fine.
>
> I am seeing a constant chatting between the hosts for lookup call and
> lookup reply. I am trying to understand as to why this traffic is
> being initiated constantly. Please look at the attached image. This
> traffic is using around 200KB/s of constant bandwidth and is
> exhausting our allocated monthly bandwidth on our 2 VPS.

You can use Wireshark to identify which process does the LOOKUP calls.
For this, do the following:

1. select a LOOKUP Call
2. enable the 'packet details' pane (found in the main menu, 'view')
3. expand the 'Transmission Control Protocol' tree
4. check the 'Source port' of the LOOKUP Call

Together with the 'Source' and the 'Source port' you can go to the
server that matches the 'Source' address. A command like this would give
you the PID of the process in the right column:

  # netstat -tpn | grep $SOURCE_PORT

And with 'ps -v $PID' you can check which process is responsible for the
LOOKUP. This process can be a fuse-mount, self-heal-daemon or any other
glusterfs-client. Depending on the type of client, you maybe can tune
the workload or other options a little.

In Wireshark you can also check what filename is LOOKUP'd, just expand
the 'GlusterFS' part in the 'packet details' and check the 'Basename'.
Maybe this filename (without directory structure) does give you any
ideas of which activity is causing the LOOKUPs.

HTH,
Niels