[Gluster-users] gluster replacing a brick

Hariharan Thantry thantry at gmail.com
Thu Jan 30 22:53:03 UTC 2014

Hi folks,

Is there an easy way to shrink the size of a gluster volume by replacing
some of its constituent disks, and moving the data to other constituent
disks?

I did

gluster volume replace-brick <volname> <old-brick> <new-brick>

where both <old-brick> and <new-brick> are part of the gluster setup, but
it wouldn't let me do this complaining that:

Brick: <new-brick> not available. Brick may be containing or be contained
by an existing brick.

Can I remove the new-brick, wipe off the gluster artifacts [the trusted.XXX
parameters], and then do the replace-brick? Will that cause any data loss?

Thanks,
Hari