[Gluster-users] File (setuid) permission changes during volume heal - possible bug?

Chalcogen chalcogen_eg_oxygen at yahoo.com
Mon Jan 27 20:37:14 UTC 2014

Hi,

I am working on a twin-replicated setup (server1 and server2) with
glusterfs 3.4.0. I perform the following steps:

 1. Create a distributed volume 'testvol' with the XFS brick
    server1:/brick/testvol on server1, and mount it using the glusterfs
    native client at /testvol.

 2. I copy the following file to /testvol:
    server1:~$ ls -l /bin/su
    -rw*s*r-xr-x 1 root root 84742 Jan 17  2014 /bin/su
    server1:~$ cp -a /bin/su /testvol

 3. Within /testvol if I list out the file I just copied, I find its
    attributes intact.

 4. Now, I add the XFS brick server2:/brick/testvol.
    server2:~$ gluster volume add-brick testvol replica 2
    server2:/brick/testvol

    At this point, heal kicks in and the file is replicated on server 2.

 5. If I list out su in testvol on either server now, now, this is what
    I see.
    server1:~$ ls -l /testvol/su
    -rw*s*r-xr-x 1 root root 84742 Jan 17  2014 /bin/su

    server2:~$ ls -l /testvol/su
    -rw*x*r-xr-x 1 root root 84742 Jan 17  2014 /bin/su

That is, the 's' file mode gets changed to plain 'x' - meaning, all the
attributes are not preserved upon heal completion. Would you consider
this a bug? Is the behavior different on a higher release?

Thanks a lot.
Anirban